Typically a tone generator is used for tasks like creating test tones for calibrating sound equipment, but there are plenty of other applications, like sound therapy or repelling mosquitoes. Whatever you are doing, the NCH Tone Generator can easily generate everything from sine and sawtooth waves to impulses and more.
Tone Generator is very easy-to-use, but here are some of the basics to help get you started:
- By default Tone Generator opens with a single 440Hz frequency.
- Add up to 16 total frequencies to be played simultaneously using the Add Tone button below the tone details list.
- Change the waveform type with the small icons at the top of the interface.
- Update a tone's frequency by double clicking it on the tone details list. This lets you input a frequency in Hz, alternatively select a preset with the note selector.
- Listening to the current settings/frequencies by simply pressing Play.
- Save as a .tdf tone file to use again or load into a tone list for creating sequences.
- Save a .wav file for later use, or other audio software (e.g., convert wav to mp3 with Switch for loading those sound therapy tones to your mp3 player).
- Select Edit to open the waveform as a new file in WavePad.