File Converters 101: Convert Images, Audio, Video, Documents, 3D projects and more!
File converters help you convert a file in one format to another format. There are many different types of file converters available in the market designed for specific purposes, such as:
- Video converting
- Audio converting
- Image/Photo converting
- Document converting
- 3D mesh converting
- Archive file converting
- CD to mp3 Converting
The converters help you convert from one file to another whilst maintaining the integrity of the source file.
Why do we need file converters?
In today’s ever advancing tech sphere, a number of new platforms, devices, and versions flood the market every single day. It’s a necessity to be able to convert and update files to more compatible versions. The need could be as small as the ability to share a particular file with a friend (if you have Windows on your laptop and your friend has a MAC) or between devices (Apple, Windows, Linux). Finally, you may just want a more practical solution such as making your music more portable by converting Flac to mp3.
Things to keep in mind before downloading a file converter
- Firstly and most importantly is the type of software you need. What do you need to convert? Is it an audio, video, image or document file?
- Does it support the most commonly used file formats, including,
a. Video converters – MOV, AVI, FLV, WMV, MP4
b. Audio converter – MP3, WAV, FLAC
c. Image/Photo converters – JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, BMP
d. Document converters – DOC, PPT, PDF, XLS,
e. 3D mesh converters – 3DS, STL, 3DP
f. Archive file converters – RAR, ZIP, TAR, GZ
- Ability to batch convert – You really don’t want to convert one song at a time when your playlist is 100 songs long or one image at a time when your vacation album has some 1000 photos.
- The provider of the file converter software is stable and in sync with the changing technology environment so as to provide regular updates and support.
There are number of valid reasons. The most important are:
- Converting files from your desktop is safer, more secure and keeps your privacy in your own hands.
- Desktop converters provide more options and higher quality than their online counterparts. This saves you time and effort by getting it right the first time.
- Is your file the size of Mount Fiji or the Strait of Gibraltar? Online converters restrict the file size for conversion. The size of your file becomes an important factor.
- Some free online file converters add a watermark to your converted file as a form of advertising. Nobody likes that.
Combine all of the above factors and you will have a compelling reason to use a desktop converter instead of an online converter.