You've got the idea for your business and are swarming with ideas about how to get started. You may think that bookkeeping and accounting is getting ahead of the game at this point—first you need clients. But that's not true. You need to keep track of all your expenses and payments right from the start. Setting up accounting software to manage your accounts out of the gate can save headaches caused by trying to find these details later.
One of the advantages of running a business out of a home office is the tax deductions you can take. But to take advantage of those deductions, your records must be in order. Deductions are retroactive once you have paying clients, so accurately tracking the expenses leading up to that first client is extremely important.
You need a flexible, easy-to-use accounting program or you won't use it. Ideally, it will also handle your invoicing to making record keeping even easier, which is one of the things that Express Accounts accounting software offers. Express Accounts is available for Mac and PC, can be installed and ready to use in less than 5 minutes.
Here are some of the key features of Express Accounts:
- Create journal entries for payments, purchases, receipts and deposits
- Create and send invoices from inside the application
- Set up alerts to track unpaid invoices and make sure nothing falls through the cracks
- Standard reports including Profit & Loss statement and Balance Sheet
- Email or fax reports and invoices directly from the program
Next: VoIP Phone System