Here are a few tips to get you started after you have chosen the songs that you want to use in your mash-up:
- It can be helpful to have the vocals separated from the instrumental music. Try searching for a cappella versions of your songs. If you can't find a cappella versions, try using WavePad to help you extract the voice, but note this can be a time consuming step to get it right.
- Load all of your clips in MixPad. MixPad can import audio from a wide range of formats and even extract audio from video files, so you don't need to worry about converting your audio files first.
- You may need to adjust the pitch of one of your two songs to get them into the same key.
- Adjust the tempo of one of your songs to match the other for a common beat throughout your arrangement.
- Use a drum sample of one of the songs to make a tempo grid marking the beat for your mix and help you place samples of your two songs.
If any of you have put together your own musical mash-ups I'd love to hear the tracks you have put together. And if you have any tips on mixing tracks together, please share what you have learned.